Enrollment and Registration

1st . Do the Temporary Residence Registration in the local authorities.

To get a residence permit and make your stay in China legal, the very first thing you should do while arriving in China is to take the Temporary Residence Registration in the local public security bureau. The registration must be done within 24 hours after your arrival in China and your university may help you go through the process. Be careful, you’ll be fined if you do not take a temporary residence registration within 24 hours after you reach the school and the fine ranges from 200 RMB to 2,000 RMB.

If you choose to live on campus, your school will help you to register with the local authority. However, you should register by yourself accompanied by your landlord if you live off campus.
Please note that there are two separate residence-related documents whose official names are Registration Form of Temporary Residence and Residence Permit.
Reminder : The local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau will only accept the Residence application if you have done the Temporary Residence Registration within 24 hours or you have paid the fine if it expires.

2nd . Do the Registration in Chinese University.

To register in the school, you should present some necessary documents. Actually these documents needed vary from university to university; here is some that are indispensible to all universities.

★ Admission Letter /Notice
★ Passport
★ Registration Form of Temporary Residence
★ Photocopies of your passport photo page, visa
★ Passport-sized photos
★ Fees for tuition and insurance (or a receipt if you’ve already paid)

Do a physical examination in a Chinese hospital

The original document of physical examination record from your home country may be accepted by the local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau. However, in most cases, you have to re-do the physical examination for some other requested items in a local hospital which is designated by local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.

Boswin Reminder : The price of physical examination in China is around 50 USD to 100 USD. The whole process of examination will last for 2 hours and the result will come out in 3-5 working days.

1st . Apply and get your residence permit from the local authorities.

The application materials for a Residence Permit include all the original copies of: the temporary residence registration paper, the physical examination record of local hospital, the JW202 form and the admission letter. Currently, the residence permit fee is RMB 400 for staying less than 10 months; 800 for staying for more than 10 months. (It may vary with cities) The application process will take 1-2 weeks during which time your passport will be kept by the local public security bureau. Therefore, Do Not make travel plan during the period. What’s more, you must renew your residence permit annually in the local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau before it expires. You should apply for a residence permit 30 days within your arrival in China, otherwise your stay will be considered illegal and you will be fined (500 RMB/day) and even expelled by local authority.